For my media lab, I've decided to take a somewhat unusual approach to teaching in which I demonstrate how I learn. Specifically, I use the video tutorial format to illustrate how I learn to use technology for problem solving. In the introduction video, I indicate that I often get asked how I know whatever it is I might know about technology; my answer is invariably, "I just taught myself." Believe me, it's not as impressive as it might sound,
So my intent in these videos is to demonstrate/act out my approach to figuring out a new skill on the internet. In this case, I set a task that I genuinely had never done before (converting a song I heard on TV into an ipod music file (mp3)) and just narrate what I'm doing as I go through the process. Because I tried to keep this authentic, and didn't want to re-record any parts of it, I stumble, mis-speak etc., here and there. I even get stuck on something that doesn't work (imagine that!). My goal, in this case, is to demonstrate how you can go about figuring something out, and to provide visual evidence that even the tech savvy among us, must deal with many of the same learning obstacles.
Introduction
The Search
Failure and Redemption
Audacity
iTunes
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment